Old 29-07-2009, 09:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com George.com is offline

Default Crack Garden

"Karen" wrote in message
I have a driveway to my detached garage in my backyard. My garage is
not used for cars and I am wondering what to do with it.

The concrete is in good shape and it's very expensive to remove. One
idea is to paint it terrazo style and have pergula or raised beds with
benches. Another is to plant a crack garden, or to make cracks in the
concrete for plantings. Or both.

My lot is 6000 sq.ft. and my house is 900, so I have a good amount of
space for the lawns and two spots for vegetable gardens.

Has anyone experimented with crack gardens and what have you planted?

my old man landscaped his back garden that had a large expanse of concrete.
He used timber sleepers to mark out 'gardens' & filled them with stones of
varying sizes. He planted various plants in pots that are set within the
'gardens' and surrounded by the stones. There is no soil apart from in the
pots. The plants cam be changed periodicly as he desires but the whole
effect is one of having gardens, even though he perhaps more accurately made
'features'.

Broke up the large expanse of concrete & he is happy with it. Everything can
be easily stripped away back to bare concrete is needed.

rob