Old 29-07-2009, 11:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
Freckles[_5_] Freckles[_5_] is offline

Default Crack Garden

"George.com" wrote in message

"Karen" wrote in message
I have a driveway to my detached garage in my backyard. My garage is
not used for cars and I am wondering what to do with it.

The concrete is in good shape and it's very expensive to remove. One
idea is to paint it terrazo style and have pergula or raised beds with
benches. Another is to plant a crack garden, or to make cracks in the
concrete for plantings. Or both.

My lot is 6000 sq.ft. and my house is 900, so I have a good amount of
space for the lawns and two spots for vegetable gardens.

Has anyone experimented with crack gardens and what have you planted?

my old man landscaped his back garden that had a large expanse of
concrete. He used timber sleepers to mark out 'gardens' & filled them with
stones of varying sizes. He planted various plants in pots that are set
within the 'gardens' and surrounded by the stones. There is no soil apart
from in the pots. The plants cam be changed periodicly as he desires but
the whole effect is one of having gardens, even though he perhaps more
accurately made 'features'.

Broke up the large expanse of concrete & he is happy with it. Everything
can be easily stripped away back to bare concrete is needed.

rob

I use pots for all of my plantings. My garden area is filled with plants of
all sizes and shapes and there is almost no weeding needed. If I plant
something that doesn't do very good, or I find out I don't really like it,
all I have to do is pull the plant out of the pot and sow something else. I
can move the plants around so they get the sun they need. I also can amend
the soil as required in the pots to get the best growing condition for each
plant.

Freckles