Old 29-07-2009, 07:58 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
The moderator[_2_] The moderator[_2_] is offline

Default What's On Our Food?

"Billy" wrote in message
In article
,
Frank wrote:

On Jul 26, 10:12 pm, Charlie wrote:
Scary.

http://whatsonmyfood.org/

Charlie

I'm a retired chemist and have been amazed by advances in chemical
detectability levels over the years.
Several years ago it was difficult to detect under a part per million
easily observable materials such as arsenic but today they can detect
parts per trillion of many things.

Personally, I'm not afraid of a ppt of anything but there are those
that gasp at the fact that something noxious is in their food. I had
a Canadian official tell me once that he did not want a single
molecule of any chlorinated organic compound in the water that he was
drinking. It was not a time to educate him on Avagadro's number.

I'm healthy and entering my seventh decade this year and as a chemist
have been exposed to some of the most toxic substances known to man
including what was said to be the most potent carcinogen.

Well, you know how unreasonably emotional Charlie can be about his
grandkids being exposed to needless poisons, but anecdotal evidence
Frank? I thought you were a scientist. What happened to you?

A beautiful lady, Hilda Newson, celebrates her 109th birthday. She
chain-smoked until the age of 85.
http://www.forces.org/static_page/oldest.php
Kinda makes you want to fire up a pack of coffin nails, huh, Frank?
So you sayin' that all that bad rap that tobacco got was trash talk,
Frank?

A case-control study has shown an elevated risk of sarcoma (a type of
cancer) associated with low-level exposure (4.2 fg/m3) to dioxins from
incineration plants.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychl...oxins#Toxicity
That's 4.2 trillionths of a gram/cubic meter of air.
(.0000000000042g)

Scientists estimate that everyone alive today carries within her or his
body at least 700 contaminants, most of which have not been well studied
(Onstot and others).
*Onstot J, Ayling R, Stanley J. Characterization of HRGC/MS Unidentified
Peaks from the Analysis of Human Adipose Tissue. Volume 1: Technical
Approach. Washington, DC: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Office of
Toxic Substances (560/6-87-002a), 1987.

Among these 700 contaminants are organophosphates, and organochlorates,
or as I like to call them, insecticides. Then there are pthalates
(endocrine disrupter)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phthalate#Health_effects,

and chemistry's poster child (or should I say cash cow) PBA.

The authors found that high bisphenol A levels were significantly
associated with heart disease, diabetes, and abnormally high levels of
certain liver enzymes. An editorial in the same issue notes that while
this preliminary study needs to be confirmed and cannot prove causality,
there is precedent for analogous effects in animal studies, which
"add[s] biological plausibility to the results reported by Lang et
al."[12]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphen...to_bisphenol_A

You can avoid some BPA by avoiding plastics bottles marked 7 or 3 inside
a triangle on their bottom.

Lead and mercury are still popular pollutants.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/...r-pollution-ch
ildren.html
Kids' lower IQ scores linked to prenatal pollution

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache...reeks.org/info
/infofishsafety.doc+recommended+quantities+of+fish+ to+be+eaten+from+San+F
rancisco+Bay&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safar i
IS IT SAFE TO EAT FISH FROM SAN FRANCISCO BAY?
San Francisco Bay and Delta Region: Because of elevated levels of
mercury, PCBs, and other chemicals, the following interim advisory has
been issued by the CA Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment.
? Adults should eat no more than two meals per month of San Francisco
Bay sport fish, including sturgeon and striped bass caught in the delta.
(One meal for an adult is about eight ounces).
? Adults should not eat any striped bass over 35 inches.
? Women who are pregnant or may become pregnant, nursing mothers, and
children under age six should not eat more than one meal of fish per
month. In addition, they should not eat any striped bass over 27 inches
or any shark over 24 inches.

These types of notifications are becoming more common around the world.
You may want to give up eating canned tuna as well, unless, for some
reason, you need the mercury.

Now, I can understand haw a big strong guy like you, Frank, wouldn't be
afraid of little tiny things like chemicals, but how do they react with
fetuses, and children? You know how, Frank, you're a chemist. They
interfer with tissue development.

No one has ever done feeding trials on these pollutants, to see if they
work synergistically (in a toxic kind of way), so we are just guinea
pigs.

Now we have the latest in toxins, Genetically Modified Organisms.
Spliceosomes (I kid you not) that mistake t-RNA from the inserted genes
and make unique proteins with the possibility of an allergic response.
Cabbage Mosaic Virus, that can migrate to the 98% of your DNA that
doesn't seem to express itself, and can turn on long dormant viruses, or
genes. Then there is the antibiotic marker on the inserted gene that can
lead to antibiotic resistant bacteria.

Enjoy your retirement, Frank, but we don't need your cavalier disregard
for our health.

My advice is simple, if you are going to eat, eat organic.
--

- Billy

It is my observation that the people working in organic groceries are the
sickliest looking specimens around. Eat a T-bone once in a while you
anemic, depressing zealots. Get next to a bar of soap.