Old 29-07-2009, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Organic seeds

echinosum wrote:
Ben Short;858424 Wrote:
Does anyone know what the difference is between a organic seed and a
normal
seed?

The same as the difference between an "organic" apple and another
apple, as found on the greengrocer's shelf, ie, the way in which it was
produced. Growing plants from an "organic" seed does not result in the
produce being organic unless the culture is also organic. On the other
hand, I expect that much "organic" produce may well be grown from seeds
whose culture was not "organic".

The amount of residue in the seeds is miniscule and may be important to
keeping the seeds viable for lng term storage.

I hate the term "organic" for this. Organic previously meant something
quite different, and is still used in that sense. The French term
"biodynamic" is more better.

That has connotations of lunacy - quite literally.

If you want a rational basis for agriculture then minimum inputs is the
way to go. Organic(TM) hair shirt growing may be OK for feeding the rich
worried well but it cannot generate sufficient yields to feed everyone.

Regards,
Martin Brown