Old 29-07-2009, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mark mark is offline

Default phases of the moon

In message , Sacha
writes

On 2009-07-28 17:58:05 +0100, Martin said:

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:45:39 +0100, Judith M Smith

wrote:

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 18:15:51 +0100, "Hamer Family"
wrote:

Does anybody here garden by biodynamics or the phases of the moon,
I'm
thinking of giving it a try.
It's along the same lines - I can assure you that potatoes should
only
be planted on Good Friday ;-)
and that the sun always passes in front of the sun at 3 pm on Good
Friday. I was
taught this at junior school.
Be fair - the man asked a reasonable question.
He also got some very reasonable answers.

Not if they're along the lines of standing on one leg reciting The Ancient
Mariner while planting parsley! A lot of old gardening lore is just that
but it's been around for centries and seems to work. Certainly, as it
appears to respect the land I can't see any harm in someone enquiring
about it and/or trying it. After all, nitrates were all the thing as
can't-go-wrong, prouce-huge-crops fertilisers at one time. People are
re-thinking their attitudes to chemicals now and I doubt many people would
have predicted that back in the 60s.

Perhaps the singing is something to do with the plants liking the sound of
the gardener's voice (a bit like Prince Charles talking to his plants - I
talk to mine).

If you talk to your plants you would be breathing out carbon dioxide,
inexchange for which they will put up with your 'witty banter' or l.o.b.

mark