Old 29-07-2009, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
hugh hugh is offline

Default phases of the moon

In message , Sacha
writes

On 2009-07-29 09:33:55 +0100, Martin said:

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 23:36:57 +0100, Sacha

On 2009-07-28 17:58:05 +0100, Martin said:

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:45:39 +0100, Judith M Smith

wrote:

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 18:15:51 +0100, "Hamer Family"
wrote:

Does anybody here garden by biodynamics or the phases of the
moon, I'm
thinking of giving it a try.
It's along the same lines - I can assure you that potatoes
should only
be planted on Good Friday ;-)
and that the sun always passes in front of the sun at 3 pm on

Friday. I was
taught this at junior school.
Be fair - the man asked a reasonable question.
He also got some very reasonable answers.
Not if they're along the lines of standing on one leg reciting The
Ancient Mariner while planting parsley! A lot of old gardening lore is
just that but it's been around for centries and seems to work.

"seems"

Certainly, as it appears to respect the land I can't see any harm in
someone enquiring about it and/or trying it.

I don't understand what you mean by respects the land.

Wants to work with it rather than beating it into submission.

After all, nitrates were
all the thing as can't-go-wrong, prouce-huge-crops fertilisers at one
time. People are re-thinking their attitudes to chemicals now and I
doubt many people would have predicted that back in the 60s.

People did predict it back in the 1960s.

But how many paid attention? I know that in Jersey so many nitrates
were put onto the fields by the previous generation of farmers, that
the nitrates in the water level were a long way above the level
considered to be safe. Nonetheless, I can't see any harm in someone
wanting to try a method that does nothing to anyone or anything other
than themselves and their own land.

Also in east Anglia IIRC and pregnant women were given bottled water.
--
hugh