Old 30-07-2009, 12:11 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default July gardens

in autumn, i had a bucket full of coriander seed that i couldn't seem to
organise planting anywhere, so i threw it around in a few garden beds &
now we have more coriander than i think i have ever seen!

Ditto! Mine self seeded all over the end of one bed and into the path at
the end of last summer and its growing beatifully ATM.

i'm going to put more seed out seeing as how i still have loads of seed, and
one new garden bed i was starting up last autumn seems to have all gone
wrong after the frosts - i put in a few plants that were going wonderfully,
but it looks now like they are completely dead. it is most exasperating as
it's unusual for any new thing i put in here to start off so well!!! (that
must have been the problem!!) so i might as well cover it in coriander for
now while i have a think.

also, i think any of us could do worse than have things like rocket or
coriander self-seeding about the place - you can eat it, the plants look
good when they go to seed, and it keeps the ground covered while you think
about what you would like to do. (and frankly i'm a huge fan of any plant
that does all the work for you).

there are lots of veg kicking along nicely (things that like winter,
obviously) but for the most part i'm ignoring everything unless eating
it - there's enough rain to water them & i mulched for winter long ago of
course. anyway, i'm finding it a convenient time to be run off my feet
with other things beside the garden.

i find winter extraordinarily difficult tbh. it's just so cold here &
when there's been 3 days without sunlight i start to lose my mind.

Yep. All that sodding cloud and not a drop of real rain - **** ghastly
mizzle at the best!

it is becoming rather exasperating (probably not as exasperating as in
victoria atm though). whenever it does rain, the dam level simply does not
change.

Today I weeded the asparagus bed and half of one of the veg beds.
tomorrow I'll spread horse poop and leaves on the weeded veg bed and give
the asparagus a dose of dolomite.

i'm just in the process of moving all of my asparagus down the back. the
young ones i've got in pots are fine, although i wasn't really thinking
about how many i have (24 or something) & i don't have the bed space!! and
will have to quickly sort something out. the older ones are 2.5 years now, &
are staggeringly difficult to dig out!!!!! mainly, i hope i don't kill them
in the process - that would be a bugger :-) so i've decided not to hope for
any asparagus this year in case the big plants are still recovering (or are
dead ;-) & the small ones too small. they've started shooting already
although of course the shoots die when it frosts, so they are clearly not
dormant still. but, once they are moved & settled it is nice to think
there'll be asparagus every spring with no special work on my behalf, 3
cheers for perennials eh.
kylie