Old 30-07-2009, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_4_] Ophelia[_4_] is offline

Default tomatoes

"sutartsorric" wrote in message

I know exactly what you mean, and the cynics always mention that for
the time and effort spent on growing them it would be far easier to
buy them at a supermarket.

But, those sad people do not understand the sheer pleasure in eating
ones that you have nurtured yourself through all kinds of weather, and
yours will always taste better.

Thank you.

Yes, the bottom leaves of tomatoes regularly turn yellow and look
rather dead once there are lots of tomatoes on the plants. I assume
that the plant no longer needs them as the fruit swell is mainly
water, and the upper leaves are providing for the rest of the plant.

It is a shame that the mature plants look so dishevelled, and there is
one problem to watch out for at this time in cool/damp weather and
that is blight - but fingers crossed, so far despite all the rain
there are no signs of blight yet.

Awww thank you so much for your kind response) They are out in the
rain.. should I bring them in now to dry off??
The leaves do look a mess. They are mostly yellow and shrivelling. I do
have loads of tomatoes though