Old 30-07-2009, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_4_] Ophelia[_4_] is offline

Default tomatoes

"K" wrote in message
Ophelia writes

Awww thank you so much for your kind response) They are out in the
rain.. should I bring them in now to dry off??
The leaves do look a mess. They are mostly yellow and shrivelling. I do
have loads of tomatoes though

Most leaves yellow and shrivelling is not good, bottom leaves yellow and
shrivelling is OK.

Once a leaf is yellow and shrivelling, it's not doing much for the plant,
so you might as well nip them off. A plant with a few green leaves looks
much healthier than one with a few green leaves and lots of yellow ones -
removing yellow leaves is good for the gardener's morale ;-)

Yers) I did removed some from the bottom when they were growing, on
advice from here and they did look much better. Will it matter if they are
almost stripped off now?

When I can get out I shall post a picture.

They're OK in the rain if the pots/bags can grow freely, but if they're
getting waterlogged, draining the excess water would be a good idea.
leaves of waterlogged plants seem to go a sort of brownish colour and then
yellow.

Oh dear. They are in a wicker shopping basket. I bought Tumblers because I
intended to hang it up. Unfortunately, it grew too heavy. The basket has a
waterproof lining but I punched holes in it. It does drain fine. I put it
into a large plastic box (you can see through it) standing on pieces of
styrofoam and I can see the water in the bottom of the box. When I have fed
them, and I can see it brown, I will pour it back over the plants and set it
to drain again. All advice is very much appreciated. I know I have started
small, but I am learning from this and when I do start to grow them in a
more recognised way, I shall be ready