Old 30-07-2009, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default tomatoes

Ophelia writes

"K" wrote in message

Once a leaf is yellow and shrivelling, it's not doing much for the plant,
so you might as well nip them off. A plant with a few green leaves looks
much healthier than one with a few green leaves and lots of yellow ones -
removing yellow leaves is good for the gardener's morale ;-)

Yers) I did removed some from the bottom when they were growing, on
advice from here and they did look much better. Will it matter if they are
almost stripped off now?

You mean, there are virtually no green leaves left? That doesn't sound
too happy. Have you any flowers or tomatoes?

When I can get out I shall post a picture.

They're OK in the rain if the pots/bags can grow freely, but if they're
getting waterlogged, draining the excess water would be a good idea.
leaves of waterlogged plants seem to go a sort of brownish colour and then
yellow.

Oh dear. They are in a wicker shopping basket. I bought Tumblers because I
intended to hang it up. Unfortunately, it grew too heavy. The basket has a
waterproof lining but I punched holes in it. It does drain fine. I put it
into a large plastic box (you can see through it) standing on pieces of
styrofoam and I can see the water in the bottom of the box. When I have fed
them, and I can see it brown, I will pour it back over the plants and set it
to drain again. All advice is very much appreciated. I know I have started
small, but I am learning from this and when I do start to grow them in a
more recognised way, I shall be ready

If you have virtually no leaves left, then I wouldn't feed them.

Try taking out a walnut sized piece of compost and squeezing it. How
much water comes out? If you can get a drip or two when squeezing hard,
then that's OK. If it's like squeezing out a wet sponge, then I would
say that that is too wet, especially if it's been that way for a couple
of days, and I would try to et the compost to dry out a bit.
Bring the basket inside, or put something over it to keep the rain off
for a few days.

The last few days haven't been friendly for pot plants - it's been nice
not having to water them, but you can have too much of a good thing!
--
Kay