Old 30-07-2009, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
hugh hugh is offline

Default phases of the moon

In message , Martin
writes

In message , Sacha
writes

On 2009-07-29 09:33:55 +0100, Martin said:

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 23:36:57 +0100, Sacha

On 2009-07-28 17:58:05 +0100, Martin said:

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:45:39 +0100, Judith M Smith

wrote:

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 18:15:51 +0100, "Hamer Family"
wrote:

Does anybody here garden by biodynamics or the phases of the
moon, I'm
thinking of giving it a try.
It's along the same lines - I can assure you that potatoes
should only
be planted on Good Friday ;-)
and that the sun always passes in front of the sun at 3 pm on

Friday. I was
taught this at junior school.
Be fair - the man asked a reasonable question.
He also got some very reasonable answers.
Not if they're along the lines of standing on one leg reciting The
Ancient Mariner while planting parsley! A lot of old gardening lore is
just that but it's been around for centries and seems to work.
"seems"

Certainly, as it appears to respect the land I can't see any harm in
someone enquiring about it and/or trying it.
I don't understand what you mean by respects the land.

Wants to work with it rather than beating it into submission.

After all, nitrates were
all the thing as can't-go-wrong, prouce-huge-crops fertilisers at one
time. People are re-thinking their attitudes to chemicals now and I
doubt many people would have predicted that back in the 60s.
People did predict it back in the 1960s.

But how many paid attention? I know that in Jersey so many nitrates
were put onto the fields by the previous generation of farmers, that
the nitrates in the water level were a long way above the level
considered to be safe. Nonetheless, I can't see any harm in someone
wanting to try a method that does nothing to anyone or anything other
than themselves and their own land.

Also in east Anglia IIRC and pregnant women were given bottled water.

They drink bottled water like everybody else in many places in Europe.

Yes but normally they go to a supemarket and buy it, rather than in this
instance having it delivered by their water supply company F-O-C
--
hugh