Old 16-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Tony

Default Datura Metal

Hi there,

I, too, live in Pensacola, FL.

I mainly reseed my Datura manually, but this year I noticed that I had
several volunteers popping up on their own in last year's beds. At this
point some of them are about .25" to .5" tall. The late freeze we took in
my part of town a few weeks ago probably delayed their start. Mine have
come up within the past 2 weeks.

One thing I do to help them out is save 2 liter bottles and cut off the
bottoms. I remove the tops and slide them over a new seedling. This
creates a mini-greenhouse for them that seems to hasten their growth.

The ones that I germinated in small pots in a mini-greenhouse I have (from
Big Lots) are about 4" tall now.

Our climate here is great for these plants. You've just got to be careful
about tomato hornworms! They devoured several of my plants last year in
their entirety before I was able to spray them with BT.

If you're into Brugmansias in this area, there's a lady that has a small
commercial greehouse near her home off 9 Mile Road (near Beulah airport) and
she has a wide variety of Brugs. Haven't had a chance to go see her this
crop this year, but at the Milton Flower Show last week she mentioned she
had some new varieties.

Tony

"zhanataya" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 21:51:02 -0500, "Tony"
wrote:

FWIW, Datura Metel is a Devil's Trumpet, not an Angel's Trumpet.
Brugmansias are Angel Trumpets.

A Datura Metel seedling will grow 3-4' tall if in very fertile soil. In
poor soil they'll reach 2-3'. They'll flower profusely.

They're an annual, but they do self reseed.

They're also my favorite plant. Any other questions, please ask.

Last year I grew about 50 of these plants.

Tony

Tony, I live in Pensacola, FL zone 8B. Last year I grew a couple od
Daturas. I saved seed and I also let them cast their own seed. My
question is when should I start to expect the volunteer seedlings to
start poking their heads up. I have ammended the soil somewhat around
the daturas but it is mostly sand.

zhan