Old 30-07-2009, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Karen[_3_] Karen[_3_] is offline

Default Crack Garden

On Jul 29, 3:55*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Looks daft to me, much work for little gain. *Design awards don't always
consider the real cost and effort of implementation. *Note that most of the
growth is up trellises around the edges not in the cracks.

Is your slab level? *In most cases it would be. *Water will not run off and
so there is an excellent chance of having a big drainage problem unless the
cracks go right through the concrete to some porous soil. *Stunted roots,
plus baked when it's dry, plus drowned when it's wet equals dead plant.

My other idea is to paint the concrete terrazo style looking and use
raised beds with benches and pots and umbrellas and stuff.

Karen