Old 30-07-2009, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Zeppo Zeppo is offline

Default Tomato Harvest

"Balvenieman" wrote in message
m...
"Zeppo" wrote:

Starting to enjoy natures bounty... :-)

Wow; it's just about over he Peninsular Florida, USDA zone 9.
Greens and curcurbits long gone; eggplant, peppers (Jalapeņo, California
Wonder), okra, collards and peanuts still going strong; red beefsteak
tomatoes still growing apace and blossoming but not setting much fruit;
patio tomatoes done and gone; lima beans, snap beans and cowpeas done
and gone. Will replant peanuts and cowpeas in vacant beds but likely
they'll be turned under before they amount to much in order to make room
for fall planting of "English" garden peas (Little Marvel). When tomato
blossom drop becomes a "problem" (any day now), I'll layer a couple of
canes so they'll root to make fall tomatoes come Nov/Dec.
Last season's container-grown bell peppers and eggplant
overwintered so they fruited very early, as did the "Little Marvel"
peas, which also overwintered. From-the-vine peas and a Samuel Adams
make a wonderful Feb/Mar morning treat! I had to cover those plants, as
well as an assortment of "greens" but needed no supplemental heat. This
year, I'm going to see whether I can shepherd the bed-grown eggplant and
bell peppers through the winter. Jalapeņos are grown as perennials, but
protected from temperatures in mid-40s or lower.

Makes sense. I'm in USDA Zone 7 (SE Pennsylvania) and am just getting ripe
yields and the folks in Canada are just getting first fruits appearing.

Newbie question, what is the problem with tomato blossom drop?

Jon