Old 30-07-2009, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Spades

"K" wrote ...
Bob Hobden writes
"Ben Short" wrote
Just bought some Felco secateurs and they are brilliant.

Now I need some really good quality spades, hoes etc. I bought some B&Q
ones and in my hard soil the spade broke first time.

What are the BEST spades, forks, hoes money can buy, money no object so
speak. thanks

My best Spade and Digging Fork (I'm on heavy soil) are stainless steel
hand
forged in the UK, Bulldog brand. They don't make them any more here but
their stuff is still pretty good. You may be able to pick up a second-hand
one of the originals (they eventually cost £100 each new) but you will
know
you are using it, they are a lot heavier than the modern stuff.

Interesting to consider what is 'best'. I use a smaller sized lightweight
spade - I wouldn't be able to manage with a heavy one. So 'best' for me is
not the same as for you or the OP.

Quite, that's why I wrote "My best spade".

--
Regards
Bob Hobden