Old 31-07-2009, 06:44 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
William Rose[_2_] William Rose[_2_] is offline

Default What's On Our Food?

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article ,
enigma wrote:

"The moderator" wrote in
:

It is my observation that the people working in organic groceries
are the sickliest looking specimens around. Eat a T-bone once in
a while you anemic, depressing zealots. Get next to a bar of
soap.

you are confusing organic with vegan, i suppose. there may be a
slight overlap, but most vegans i know eat prepared foods that aren't
necessarily organic. i don't actually know many vegans that can cook
from scratch (just like i don't know many people who aren't dependent
on prepared foods now-a-days).
i'm neither vegan or vegetarian, yet i grow, purchase & prepare
mostly organic foods, including meats.
oh, and there's also soap made from organic sourced ingredients...
which is a bit of a long winded way to say "your ignorance is
showing!"
lee

Hmmm ....

I m going to defend the original poster, too a limit.

From the point of logic, a qualified answer ("too a limit"), is no
answer at all.

I have also felt the same way. Some of the unhealthiest people I have
ever seen was at a health food store ( myself excluded .

How would you know, unless you were their doctor?

There are
people that have better genetics than others. There are people that seem
to consume nothing but junk food and thrive and look healthy as can be.

Ah, appearances are subjective.

Some people are more sensitive to certain foods than others. Wheat and
gluten products causes gas and fatigue for me. I have tested negative
for celiac (Endoscopy and Biopsy) and wheat allergies. However I still
ovoid those food substances for their negative affects to me. The health
food store has the rice and other flours that regular stores do not have.

Not bad, to have a wider choice.

If you are healthy from the beginning. Why enter a health food store?

To stay that way, and hopefully keep your loved ones that way as well.

If your unhealthy and traditional medicine has failed you, try
alternative methods. The health food stores are best places to try
something different.

Well, one place, anyway.

Unlike the original poster suggest, I am not a vegetarian. The health
food store has products I have not yet learn to make myself. Like
growing my own rice and corn for grinding my own flours. Someday I will
give it a try.

Where wheat products bother me. Other people might have bad reactions to
meat products and a vegetarian diet might be best for them physically or
mentally (death of animals bother them). I raise my own chickens (taste
better).

If you're going to eat them, someone has to kill them. I'm sure that
your backyard is better than an abattoir, at least I hope so.
Again the organic heath food store is a good place to be for
those who need alternatives.

Well, in my new roll as "Organic Man", I might suggest that you check
out your Community Supported Agriculture (find at
http://www.localharvest.org/csa/ ) or check your local farmer's
markets. In my opinion, we all need alternatives to "factory food" that
is grown for shelf life and not nutrition.
"And how much of a difference in antioxidant content is there between
organically and conventionally-grown foods? According to a four year
long study carried out at the University of Newcastle, organic food is
some 40% richer in antioxidants."
- Dr. Joseph Schwarcz

The organic health food store I go to, also
sells grass fed only T-bone steaks

Good eats ;O)
as well as skin sensitive soaps.

Particularly important in group showers ;O)

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common denominator in our exploitative economic system.*
~Channing E. Phillips

http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn