Old 31-07-2009, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_4_] Ophelia[_4_] is offline

Default tomatoes

sutartsorric wrote:

Oh yes I do still have a lot of flowers too. I don't really know
when to stop allowing them to grow. Any advice would be most welcome.

That is a tricky one. My late father in law who used to grow them
commercially (under glass) would never let his plants have more than
four trusses and no side shoots. He would be pulling his hair out if
he could see my outdoor plants which I just leave to grow to above the
tops of the stakes I have tied them to.

Nearly everyone you meet will have their own idea on whether or not to
take off any flowers above the 'n'th truss, and it depends if you want
a number of decent sized fruits or lots of variable sized ones all
over the plant.

Well these are meant to be wee. They are Tumblers yassee) There seems to
be plenty of trusses and variable sizes are ok with me!

I just grow mine for fun and to eat them whenever the mood takes me,
so I hardly ever do anything other than take the top shoot off when I
think the plant might get overloaded.

That sounds more like it) I will stop worrying and just let them do their
own thing! We are not exactly talking about a field full eh?

Many thanks