Old 31-07-2009, 10:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mysterious Traveler Mysterious Traveler is offline

Default Why are my tomatoes not ripening?

Every Man wrote:
Very strange.

I'm in eastern Virginia -- Northumberland County, along the Potomac
River.

Last year as we were building our house we planted a dozen or so
tomato plants along the back of the lot and harvested tomatoes all
summer and into the fall.

This year, I have 26 plants, all heirloom varieties. They are in
raised beds that are filled with half-and-half compost and topsoil.

I prune my plants so there are 3-4 main stems. I have lots of
foilage, healthy plants, no pests, and lots of green tomatoes. However
-- only two of my plants are ripening. I have been picking an
occasional ripe tomato from these two plants for 3 weeks; the rest of
the plants show no sign of ripening although they are loaded with
tomatoes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Last year my plants were loaded down with green tomato's that never
got rip. I picked twenty and put them on the kitchen counter and
they still didn't get ripe. This year we had so much rain it killed
the tomatoes I planted so I don't have any.