Old 31-07-2009, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Default User Default User is offline

Default Tomato Harvest

Balvenieman wrote:

"Zeppo" wrote:

Newbie question, what is the problem with tomato blossom drop?

Oh, it's generally believed that prolonged exposure to high
temperatures causes tomato blossoms to drop off instead of setting
fruit. However "prolonged exposure" and "high temperatures" seem to be
subjective terms among gardeners as well as among tomatoes, it seems.

A little while back, I posted about my tomato plants that were growing
vigorously but not setting fruit. We had a very hot June, 90s almost
every day. People here mentioned the heat problem.

After things cooled down, the plants began to set fruit. There're now
about 50 green tomatoes. A bit delayed, but there should be some good
eating down the line.

Brian

--
Day 179 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project