Old 01-08-2009, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default tomatoes

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 21:08:21 +0100, "Spider"
wrote:

The last few days haven't been friendly for pot plants - it's been nice
not having to water them, but you can have too much of a good thing!

Indeed So, shall I continue to feed? I have put them back out in the
rain. What say you?)

I'm a bit late joining in, but I've just had a look at your great
pictures.
The only thing I would do in your position, would be to remove those
larger,
yellowing leaves so that the sun can get in to the heart of the plant and
ripen some more fruit for you.

Tomatoes do not need to be in sunshine to ripen.

Note. In Spain, for example, they grow tomatoes on 2 rows of
canes, sloping inwards like a wigwam, deliberately, so that the
trusses hang down into the middle of the rows. They ripen perfectly
well in the shade, probably even better than in sunshine.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹

No doubt this method takes advantage of the trapped ethyline gas given off
by the ripening fruit. It would also shade them from the much hotter
Spanish sun, which may be detrimental. By the end of the season, I hope to
give my plants all the sun and warmth they can get. When picking, I also
leave one semi-ripe tomato on the truss to help ripen any that are green.

I have tried the indoor ripening method described in your previous post, but
find that they do not ripen as well and the skins become very touch and the
flavour is not so good. I much prefer outdoor ripening and, to that end,
curtail the season so that my fruits will ripen before the frosts or before
the plant deteriorates, which ever happens first.

Spider