Old 02-08-2009, 12:26 AM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"benjiboy" wrote
I have been asked to help a couple of new friends plant up a veggie
patch that we are creating at the back of some tenement blocks in
Edinburgh from some reclaimed wilderness. The buildings tower above the
plot on three sides...it may get 5 or 6 hours sun. What can we plant
there?

Presumably it's open aspect, the ground is open to the sky not overshadowed?
In which case most veg should be OK although you may have some problems with
those that like a lot of sun like Tomato, Chilli & Sweetcorn etc but even
with those it would be worth trying just to see, just plant them in the
sunniest bit. Things like Peas and Beans and even Marrows and Courgettes may
actually prefer it from what I've noticed over the years, they don't seem to
like too much heat.
The surrounding walls should also make a nice warm microclimate for the plot
so you may be able to plant out stuff earlier than others in the area, just
find out when the last frosts hit the plot, locals may know.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

A kaleyard is indicated - good traditional Scottish fare. Also potatoes next year.