Old 02-08-2009, 06:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_8_] Billy[_8_] is offline

Default Why are my tomatoes not ripening?

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 11:14:37 -0700, Billy
wrote:

Then there is the "job" which starts in ten days, which always
cramps my life style.

Oh dear, you poor sumbeetch. Last year you were in harness longer
than the previous year. How does it look this year? How looks the
afternoon nap situation?

Condolences
Charlie

Why thank you, Charlie. Normally when I tell people I only work half a
year, I get no sympathy. The ol' 8 to 8 routine, really breaks up the
day. This is where I normally talk about the 6 day weeks, and start
dragging my leg and howling.

Harvest, for sparking wines will start any day now. I'll soon be getting
sticky doing grape samples (tracking sugar, potassium, total acidity,
and pH), and the floor of the lab will get so dirty that we'll get
tempted to dig furrows and start planting. The winery ain't expecting
grapes 'till the end of the month, or early Sept. It's been a cool
summer here too, but we had a warm spring, and an early bud break
(beginning of March, instead of the middle).

Nice thing about work is that I get a lunch break, that's when I go toes
up. That and a cup of coffee, and I'm good for another 6 - 8 hr. I've
pulled a few 14 hr. days with this job, but it's nothing like working
for yourself.

It'll be the fourth year with these folks. I know the people and the
routine. All I have to do is harness up and hang on. Starting to feel
like a fire horse.
--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common denominator in our exploitative economic system.
~Channing E. Phillips

http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn