Old 03-08-2009, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default On and off topic

In article ,
says...
In article ,
Judith in France wrote:

Apparently, the true C. radicans is rather too tender for the UK,
and most of France, but that is merely picked up from books.

Mine has to withstand very low temperatures Nick, but I do protect
it. Each year I think it is dead and then suddenly in June there is a
glimmer of a bud.

Very interesting. In these warm winters, C. x taglibuana (which is
what I meant - grandiflora is the other parent) is happy with me.
I originally wanted C. radicans because the colour is better (as I
understand it), but was put off by the tenderness remarks.

On that matter, my Erythrina crista-galli is growing happily, but
have haven't yet got any decent flowers. Last year, it produced
some just before the weather turned cold and they more rotted than
opened.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick, I would regard radicans as being the tough one and grandiflora as
being more tender, the crosses are generally hardy allthough don't always
flower well if some stems do not over winter and for that they need
summer heat. You should be pleased you did not plant C radicans as it is
an invasive nuisence and suckers like mad, but it does also self cling
:~)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk