Old 03-08-2009, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default On and off topic

On 2009-08-03 14:55:51 +0100, said:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Is your Erythrina outside, Nick? Ours lives in one of the greenhouses
because its pot is too big to move. It flowered very well this year,
as did the Petrea volubilis but it does have the advantage of glass.

Yes. It is in our warmest, south-facing, corner - and I cover it with
a plastic (double glazed!) pyramid in the winter.

I'm still amazed at what can survive outside in winter and yes, I know
you cosset it a bit but even so......! I imagine it's sharply drained
so doesn't have wet, cold roots all winter.

Since my soil is 60% sand, no. Yes, it gets wet there, but it never
waterlogs. The cover was intended to keep it a bit drier than the
rest of the garden.

You have heard it before, but I succeeded with Passiflora incarnata
only after planting it in the rain shadow of the eaves.

I hadn't remembered that - amazing!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com