Old 04-08-2009, 02:32 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default July gardens

So am I. My garden is very messy because I strew seeds around all over
the place and love volunteer plants even if its just mustard. At least it
provides chook greens.

Last year I had some Mullein come up right in the middle of a path in the
Veg garden and it looked glorious. Head of Home Affairs kept threatening
to pull them out and I kept threatening him with castration if the plants
suddenly disapeared.

is mullein the one with the big hairy leaves?

But at least the pathetic amount we have had seems to have left reasonable
soil moisture levels. At least in cultivated areas. If the soil is not
well cultivated it's still as dry as a chip only a couple of inches down,
but if it has been well prepared then lovely moisture!

but, once they are moved & settled it is
nice to think there'll be asparagus every spring with no special work on
my behalf, 3 cheers for perennials eh.

25 plants! You'll have to provide a restaurant with that many :-))

well i could do worse. there are more than 25, that's just the little ones.
i think there must have been 50 seeds in the packet or something :-)

And they seem to be very tough to kill.

that's lucky because i made a mess digging up the bigger crowns, they were
stuck in like anything, & a number of them broke so i hope they don't die.
then i got dh to do the rest because i don't like digging (no wonder).

I think I've moved my asparagus bed at least 3 times and somehow I always
leave at least one plant behind. 2 ended up being in areas which became
compacted bare paths and each year they still come up. I really should
rescue them I suppose.

having had that experience (of how difficult it is to dig them up!!) i have
no intention of moving the bed again!!!!! you must have been eating your
spinach
kylie