Old 04-08-2009, 05:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Galen Hekhuis Galen Hekhuis is offline

Default A different perspective

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 02:40:01 EDT, "ReelMcKoi" wrote:

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
.. .
I don't particularly want to eradicate
it, but I'm hoping the water motion (much like the wind blowing across
the water) caused by the aerator will banish the duckweed to the still
backwaters of the pond, leaving most of it clear.

(Brevity snipped)

===========================
If these ponds never dry up, why not add a few inexpensive goldfish
or small koi? Someone may have a few culls they'd love to get rid of.
These fish love duckweed and will get rid of all of it in time.

Like I say, there is at least one otter living there (saw it again, on
two different days, if it is just visiting it's taking its time). I'm
rather reluctant to (what I'm afraid would amount to) just "feed the
otter." Besides, the pond flows into the Suwannee River, so I'm a bit
reluctant to toss just any old fish in the pond. They might breed,
and I know so little about fish I might unwittingly release The Fish
From Hell into these peaceful Florida waters.