Old 05-08-2009, 01:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man Stan The Man is offline

Default shade tollerant veg

On 2009-08-03 09:00:52 +0100, gogo said:

benjiboy wrote:
I have been asked to help a couple of new friends plant up a veggie
patch that we are creating at the back of some tenement blocks in
Edinburgh from some reclaimed wilderness. The buildings tower above the
plot on three sides...it may get 5 or 6 hours sun. What can we plant
there?

Hello,

I am in a very similar situation.. but worse! Also in Edinburgh, at the
back of a tenement building making the corner. So, in my case, no sun
at all, except the very back of the garden in summer for 1 or 2 hours.
Despite that I tried many times several vegetables: salads, onions,
leeks, etc. I have to say, in my case, the main problem was not the
lack of sun, but the thousands of snails and slugs, eating through
every new plants and seedlings quicker than every method of killing
them (organic or chemical). I decided to give up.

On the other end, this year, I decided to try on the tiny tenement
front garden, where it's much drier, and which receive maybe a good 4-5
hours sun every day. For some reason, it is almost completely devoid of
slugs and snails. I've been really successful with all sorts of
salads/lettuces, onions and leeks look good, I got a few radishes and
carrots, it looks like I might have some french beans on the railings
and I have 4-5 lareg broccoli waiting to produce florets....

Spinach does well in shade or dappled shade.