Old 16-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Frogleg

Default critters keep eating my tomatoes

On 15 Apr 2003 13:31:58 -0700, (fantabular) wrote:

I keep having a problem with squirrels and birds eating up my tomatoes
just as they ripen on the vine. What's a good way to keep those
varmints away?

I have heard/read that birds, at least, go to tomatoes for the
moisture, and that if you offer them fresh water (birdbath, etc.) in
the vicinity, they'll hit that instead. Have no idea whether this is
myth or not, although it seems logical to me.

Squirrels? They're just born mean and greedy. :-) The only deterrent
I can think of is completely caging the plants in sturdy metal,
small-mesh fencing.