Old 05-08-2009, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bobharvey bobharvey is offline

Default shade tollerant veg

On 31 July, 21:42, benjiboy
wrote:
I have been asked to help a couple of new friends plant up a veggie
patch that we are creating at the back of some tenement blocks in
Edinburgh from some reclaimed wilderness. The buildings tower above the
plot on three sides...it may get 5 or 6 hours sun. What can we plant
there?

Rhubarb. Mind, Edinburgh might be a bit cold for it. You might want
to stick something over the plants in the winter.

Potatoes and cabbage and brussels and broad beans will do well enough,
5 or 6 hours sun is quite a lot - and you are far enough north to have
long days in the summer.

Peas and runner beans do better in the sun, but again 5 or 6 is quite
a lot. My old Grandad mirrored his fence with aluminium foil to
persuade his runner beans to do better - no idea if it really worked.

After all, the wilderness plants did OK!

I reckon the quality of the soil will be a far bigger issue than the
amount of light, and you might find you need to do a lot of watering
too, modern cities tend to be very dry environments - the rainwater is
whizzed away rather than forming a natural water table in the soil