Old 05-08-2009, 09:28 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com George.com is offline

Default new garden question

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:

Have about 500 sq ft that I want to make into garden for next
year....this
area is grass now. what is best way to get this area ready for next year?
just today found a source for coffee grounds today, and was thinking to
spread coffee grounds over grass and then cover with plastic....then till
next spring.....I don't know if this is best plan....any advise
appreciated.....

Cheap Dave,
lazy Billy here to recommend that you look at the web sites below.
http://ourgardengang.tripod.com/lasagna_gardening.htm
http://organicgardening.about.com/od...n/a/lasagnagar
den.htm
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organ.../Lasagna-Garde
ning.aspx

Lasagna gardening is no dig gardening, although if you could double dig
it the first year, and that would be the end of the digging.
http://www.wikihow.com/Double-Dig-a-Garden
http://www.organicgardening.com/feat...19-934,00.html
http://www.simplegiftsfarm.com/double-digging.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-No-Dig-Garden

http://www.fbga.net/Lasagna%20gardening%202004.htm

I'd not bother with the plastic and instead cover the area with cardboard or
old felt carpet underlay. Whatever comes free and second hand. A carpet
layer will often have second hand hessian underlay they are happy to part
with for free.

Coffee grounds, food scraps, leaves, grass clippings. Chuck it all on top of
the hessian or cardboard and leave for a few months & you have a garden.

rob