Old 05-08-2009, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Bees

On 2009-08-05 09:40:01 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

"Gopher" wrote in message
In message , Ophelia
writes
A report on radio4 this morning, asking people to keep a bee colony in
their
gardens and even on a balcony (for example) for city dwellers. How
practical is this?

There are quite a few instances of this happening in other European
countries although I have not seen it in the UK. I guess it depends on
ease of accessibility to food source. A balcony on a flat in a small rural
town would be somewhat different to that in a high rise block in a major
industrially based city - even allowing for the greater awareness of the
green issue.

There was some mention of a food source, I didn't hear it all. I might look
on 'Listen Again' and see if I get hear it all.

How easy is it to acquire a bee colony, and from whom?

If you're out and about today, this week's Country Life has an article
on this very subject. Don't know if it's online yet.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com