Old 07-08-2009, 03:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_8_] Billy[_8_] is offline

Default Organic, and Tastier

In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

Chitosan as a fining agent? I've never heard of it before. You can
imagine my chagrin. Wikipedia says that it is used in combination with
other fining agents, isinglass or silica gel (bentonite and gelatin pull
color)? Why not egg whites, or are you allergic to them?
--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common
denominator in our exploitative economic system.

I've always used chitosan. It works great so I never had a reason to try
anything else.
Steve

You might consider egg whites at one/thirty gallons of wine. Put with a
little water (1 cup) and salt in a blender, or use a hand whisk. Don't
whip it too much. You're not trying to make meringue (which would
denature the albumin, and screw up the fining), just enough to
homogenize your mixture. Stir slowly into your wine with a racking cane,
if you have one. The nice thing about egg whites is that they pull
bitterness out of the wine, without pulling tannins that are important
in structure, or color.
--

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm