Old 07-08-2009, 02:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default new garden question

Charlie wrote in message

As far as the alfalfa, one needs to find the right balance perhaps. I
think parts of my garden suffered from alfalfa meal overdose this
year. At least I had what appeared to be nitrogen burn on some things
that I likely OD'd with too much alfalfa meal and blood meal.

Charlie I often use lucerne (alfalfa) straw as a mulch but I notice in
another post that you refer to alfalfa pellets.

Can you buy lucerne (alfalfa) in bales such as you'd feed to a horse as this
stuff is magnificent as a mulch. Or even if you could buy it in the chaff
form should also be good. It's ideal for gardens but not for cattle. My
old lecturer when I was doing a farm animal production course used to say
that feeding lucerne to cows was like feeding chocolate to children.