Old 07-08-2009, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bees

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

I am very interested in Sacha's comment, about having a 'hive' for
bumble bees. Have you heard anything about those?

Yes. They are easy to make, have a look on the web. I've made
several and they've all been taken up.
I've also drilled a log with holes for solitary bees and some of
holes are blocked up with clay, so I guess a few solitary bees found
it a good place to lay their eggs.

How do you attract them, or do they just find it?

They just find it, but my garden is very attractive to bees as I grow
plants that they like.

That is a good plan. Which plants do you consider best for this purpose?

I see Sacha has sent you a link and I probably can't do better (haven't read
it)
There is a plant that bees love, it's called green alkanet, it's it's a wild
plant very similar to borage.
Also buddliea (sp?) If you want bees and butterflies you must have this, it
is full of nectar. Mine was covered by butterflies today, Peacocks
particularly, Comma, RedAdmiral. lots of whites. The bees were there too
pushing the butterflies off ;-)

Tina