Old 08-08-2009, 12:59 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default July gardens

is mullein the one with the big hairy leaves?

Yeah, aka Verbascum. Old cottage plant where the spire used to be used as
a form of candle and the leaves were used to line holey shoes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbascum_thapsus

well there is everything i ever needed to know about mullein...!

i have some of that. normally, i pull it out before it gets big.

that's lucky because i made a mess digging up the bigger crowns, they
were stuck in like anything, & a number of them broke so i hope they
don't die. then i got dh to do the rest because i don't like digging (no
wonder).

If it was only the roots that broke then no worries, it it was the crown,
then it depends on how much damage you did. In reality, I think it'd be
very hard to kill a big crown based on what I've done to them in the past.

all the roots broke, but not all of the crowns (although some did, 2 or 3 i
think). fingers crossed!!

having had that experience (of how difficult it is to dig them up!!) i
have no intention of moving the bed again!!!!! you must have been eating
your spinach

Nah. If it lives it lives, if it doesn't then it (and any other thing I
move) was in a place where I didn't want it anyway.

that is fair enough.
kylie