Old 07-08-2009, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default butterfly garden

jollyhockeystic writes

Bob Hobden;859821 Wrote:
"hazchem" wrote...-
I am going to plant a buddleia bush on some spare ground and let
nettles grow up. Are there any other plants that I can grow that will
help butterflies and other wildlife? There are some strange cabbagey
plants growing. I don't know what they are. There are a few different
weeds that look as if they are related to cabbages.
-
They also love to feed on the flowers of Marjoram and Oregano IME.

I was going to leave a piece of my garden to grow wild to encourage
insects and birds but do I really need to leave the nettles?

No. There are enough nettles around that they aren't the limiting
factor.
They're the food plant of caterpillars of half a dozen butterfly
species. You can attract the butterflies by attracting the adults
according to suggestions you've had, and then there are all the other
caterpillars that don't feed on nettles ...
--
Kay