Old 08-08-2009, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
Alistair MacDonald Alistair MacDonald is offline

Default Autumn Bliss

Thanks again for the advice. I think you have hit the nail on the head. I
would appreciate it if you could describe the balanced organic fertilizer
mix After pruning at the beginning of the year I apply phosphates, bone
meal and Growmore, and give regular Miracle Grow feeds during the growing
season. Is this enough or should I be better following your mix? If so what
exactly does it consist of?

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
Alistair Macdonald said:

Thanks Pat for your advice which I think may be relevant to my problem.
Within six feet of my raspberry row I have a vigorous Golden Delicious,
and
equally vigorous Bramley and this year a heavily laden peach tree. If
their
close proximity is causing the problem and I have no wish to dispose of
the
fruit trees, what kind of feeding (for next year) would compensate?

Yes, trees growing up near the raspberries will compete for water and
nutrients! Depending on which direction they are in relation to the
raspberries, they will also "compete for light" -- that is, cast shade.

I fertilize my raspberries in spring with a balanced organic fertilizer
mix,
plus a thin layer of alfalfa pellets topped with a mulch layer of shredded
leaves (saved from the previous Autumn). They also get some overshoot
of the (organic) lawn fertilizer I apply a couple of times during the
summer.

It may be wisest (if you have the space) to start another row somewhere
farther away from the fruit trees.

In my opinion, in terms of crop value for space and effort, raspberries
would come first, followed by the peach, with the apples last.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored