Old 08-08-2009, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete C[_2_] Pete C[_2_] is offline

Default sheen x300 flame gun

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from brian mitchell contains these words:

What wick where wick?

The wick lies in the bottom of that open metal burner tube forrard
of the fuel tank.
It looks like a panty liner. If missing you can buy replacements
from sheen, but I've had the same one for decades.

The wick is lightly wet with paraffin, then touch a match to the
wick. The heat from the burning wick
heats the coil and causes the fuel in the coil to vapourise.

As for pressure; I aim to pump mine to 30; release a dribble of fuel
onto the wick, close the fuel to the feeblest possible drip.
Light the wick, When the coil is hot enough to vapourise ( signalled
by dragon panting noises), pump the pressure up to 40
on the dial, and **very slightly open the fuel control thingy.

** before trying this, please make sure the gun nozzle is not
pointing within 5 metres of anything flammable, because initially you
may open it too far and get a flame-thrower effect/
What you're looking for a is a steady roar like a jet engine.

As you use the gun the pressure will drop; when it gets down to 30 or
25 pause, set it doen safely, and pump back up to 40/

When you;re finished,, or run out of fuel, turn off the fuel valve.
Let it cool a few mintes then *slowly* release the fuel filler valve
to fully depressurise the tank.

Janet

Gee.........my butane gun sounds a whole lot safer!
--
Pete C
London UK