Old 08-08-2009, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_4_] Ophelia[_4_] is offline

Default butterfly garden

Christina Websell wrote:

On 2009-08-07 14:51:46 +0100, hazchem
said:

I am going to plant a buddleia bush on some spare ground and let
nettles grow up. Are there any other plants that I can grow that
will help butterflies and other wildlife? There are some strange
cabbagey plants growing. I don't know what they are. There are a
few different weeds that look as if they are related to cabbages.

Andy

Eupatorium is bee and butterfly heaven.

Heh, I am saving all these posts and can only hope, that when I get
a new garden, I have enough space to attact every bee and butterfly
in existence g

I am now going to show off! It was a nice sunny morning so I sat
outside with my mid-morning cuppa to butterfly-watch at the side of
my 3 buddleias. Scores of Peacocks -they were the most plentiful,
quite a few Red Admirals, some Comma & sm. Tortoiseshells, lots of
Whites but - wait for it - Painted Ladies too !!!
It's the first time I've seen this migrant butterfly in my garden. I
was well pleased ;-)

A small piece of heaven. A sunny Saturday (rare thing) didn't have
to go to work, sitting in the sunshine with a cup of tea surrounded
by clouds of butterflies. Life doesn't get much better than that.

... and I am indeed, impressed!