Old 16-04-2003, 05:08 PM
Yi Jin

Default My first lawn mower

My Craftsman self propelled is still running great after 8
years. Actually, it is running better every year then previous
year, as I learned to do a little basics maintaintance -
change oil/air filter at the end of each season, and change
spark plugs every a couple years.

The first 4 year of its use was rough, as I never changed oil
or filter. The first use in the spring was really difficult -
takes a great deal of efforts to start it. So when I finally changed
the oil at the end of 4th season, there were barely any oil in
the engine. And it was totally dark and muggy. The air filter
were completely covered with clipplings.

After that I started to do a little maintance at the end of season.
I even added a little gas stablizer at the end of last season. So I
was a bit surprised that the 1st pull of the mower this spring (last
weekend) started the engine.

The mower was not ferfect, I admit. It started to rust on the deck,
and I lost a nut on the wheel last summer - but found a replacement
from home depot, so no big deal.

So if you do take care your mower a little, it will probably run a
long time.

YJ

In article ,
Stephen Kurzban wrote:

I never had a Craftsman mower, but my first push mower was
something a neighbor threw away. I put a new set of points
in it, replace the needle valve he fiddled with and damaged
(which he must have thought was part of the problem), and
used it for about 3 years before giving it away to a friend
when I moved.

My 2nd was a green thing, maybe Murray or Rally with 3 1/2
hp briggs that is still going strong after 11 years. I
didn't take care of the deck properly however, and last year
bought a badly running mower from a neighbor for $5.00 and
swapped out decks (a friend scarfed up the motor a few
months later).

Point is, if you keep up with maintenance basics like the
air filter, oil, blade sharpening or at least balance, keep
a decent plug in it, don't allow the engine to become
encrusted with clippings (which allows overheating or can
bind linkages), and don't cut grass when the yard is wet,
almost anything should last a while.