Old 08-08-2009, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
brian mitchell brian mitchell is offline

Default sheen x300 flame gun

Janet Baraclough writes:

The wick lies in the bottom of that open metal burner tube forrard
of the fuel tank.
It looks like a panty liner. If missing you can buy replacements
from sheen, but I've had the same one for decades.

Thanks for all the info. The wick is indeed missing. In fact, the seller
(on ebay) seems to have magnified the truth more than somewhat in the
description given. You say "replacements from sheen", do they have a
website? I couldn't find them, although other places also seem to have
parts.

I got it half lit by heating the coil with a gas torch. Half lit because
there seems to be a pressure problem. Not in the tank, but thereafter.
The flame didn't get to blue and was burning too far back, close to the
nozzle. Do the nozzles on these enlarge with time and use? Anyway, the
thing needs some attention as well as a wick. Caveat emptor, obviously.

** before trying this, please make sure the gun nozzle is not
pointing within 5 metres of anything flammable, because initially you
may open it too far and get a flame-thrower effect/

I wish!

Does yours have a hood? This one doesn't but I could easily make one if
there's any advantage to them. Better wind resistence, perhaps? Or does
it spread the heat?