Old 08-08-2009, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bees

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 17:12:05 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 07:20:31 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

The deeds of my house say I'm not allowed to be a fellmonger or a
tallow
candle maker or a manure merchant by way of business.

What? How can you bear to live in a house in which you are not allowed
be a fellmonger????

Pah.... they are just mean!

I can keep pigs if I want to though. !!

Oh, well that is a relief

Unless Christine is telling porkies.
A fellmonger is a dead cow plucker.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fellmongery

No, I am not telling porkies, it truly does say that on my house deeds.

Of course. Nobody could make that up )

A fellmonger is someone who will visit farms to take away "fallen stock"
i.e. animals that have died. They usually processed them into animal
food.
We had a fellmonger only two miles away from here until recently. He used
to advertise himself as "Thomas Tertius Ross, fellmonger and licensed
horse
slaughterer"
You could smell his yard half a mile away.

Is Webster's definition rubbish then? I didn't;t know what the word meant
until
you told us about your deeds.

I don't know if their definition is rubbish - I have to confess I didn't
read the link. Having met Mr T T Ross on a couple of occasions picking up
dead sheep, I have no reason to doubt that if he said he was a fellmonger,
that's what he was. He definitely slaughtered horses.
What a job, eh?

Tina