Old 09-08-2009, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Field bindweed in lawn

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

We have a new lawn, but the pre-treatment failed to kill all of
the field bindweed - surprise, surprise! - and there are a hundred
or so small patches in irritating positions. It is, of course,
not discouraged by mowing or being pulled out by hand.

Is there any lawn weedkiller that is worth bothering with? All
of the other weeds, I either don't mind or can be removed by hand.

Teasing each patch out and using glyphosate is INCREDIBLY tedious,
as well as likely to kill patches of grass (whatever care I take).

You would probably find one of the hormone based weedkillers for
lawns would work but what you then do with a years worth of mowings I m
not sure (but I do know they cause al sorts of problems on the flower
beds!)

Thanks for the warning. That is an absolute no-no. I am not prepared
to fool around with multiple series of compost heaps, even if Herself
could remember which one to use!

If it won't degrade in a compost heap in a year, I don't want anything
to do with it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.