Old 09-08-2009, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bees

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 22:34:47 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 17:12:05 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
m...
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 07:20:31 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

The deeds of my house say I'm not allowed to be a fellmonger or a
tallow
candle maker or a manure merchant by way of business.

What? How can you bear to live in a house in which you are not
allowed
be a fellmonger????

Pah.... they are just mean!

I can keep pigs if I want to though. !!

Oh, well that is a relief

Unless Christine is telling porkies.
A fellmonger is a dead cow plucker.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fellmongery

No, I am not telling porkies, it truly does say that on my house deeds.

Of course. Nobody could make that up )

A fellmonger is someone who will visit farms to take away "fallen
stock"
i.e. animals that have died. They usually processed them into animal
food.
We had a fellmonger only two miles away from here until recently. He
used
to advertise himself as "Thomas Tertius Ross, fellmonger and licensed
horse
slaughterer"
You could smell his yard half a mile away.

Is Webster's definition rubbish then? I didn't;t know what the word
meant
until
you told us about your deeds.

I don't know if their definition is rubbish - I have to confess I didn't
read the link.

"British : one who removes hair or wool from hides in preparation for
leather
making"

Having met Mr T T Ross on a couple of occasions picking up
dead sheep, I have no reason to doubt that if he said he was a fellmonger,
that's what he was. He definitely slaughtered horses.
What a job, eh?

Knackering?

Yes, very ;-)
No, seriously. Maybe he did remove wool and hair from the carcasses he
collected and that's why he called himself a fellmonger. He was a strange
sort of chap, always looked filthy. He had a couple of sons who probably
had learning disabilities (from what I saw of them) who used to help him in
his yard. Shooting old horses and such and cutting them up for petfood.
He was known as "Tut" Ross. When my horse was ill once, it was suggested I
might have to send for Tut Ross, which struck fear into my heart.
Fortunately I didn't have to, my horse recovered.

He's dead now, is Thomas Tertius Ross. His yard was closed then by
Environmental Health.
There were dead animals everywhere and some sad horses awaiting their fate.

Tina