Old 09-08-2009, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete C[_2_] Pete C[_2_] is offline

Default Broad beans

wrote:
In article ,
shazzbat wrote:
Paul wrote:

Just dug up my broad beans after a very successful first year -
never knew my wife could be so inventive with broad bean recipes!
(Favourite probably bacon, mushroom & broad bean risotto)

My query is - can I (indeed should I) shell the last few pods for
drying to use as next year's starter seeds? Or am I best buying new
each year?

I know someone who has done this for 20+ years without problems. But
if you're wanting to grow some over winter, stick with one of the
hardy varieties such as aquadulce Claudia.

It's fairly basic, but worth mentioning. Broad beans, as normally
used, are unripe and will not germinate - they can be dried and
used as dried beans without problems, of course. Any beans used
for seed MUST be left to ripen on the plant, and only picked after
the pod had gone leathery or even dry and hard.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Interesting.....thanks Nick
--