Old 10-08-2009, 03:36 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
z z is offline

Default What eats the leaves of castor bean plants?

On Aug 7, 2:50*pm, gunner1971
wrote:
z;859502 Wrote:

On Aug 2, 10:27*am, willshak wrote:-
on 8/1/2009 7:07 PM (ET) Plant Guy wrote the following:
-
Will earwig "destroyer" kill slugs or snails?-

The best solution for slugs is a saucer full of beer. They are
attracted
to the beer and then drown in it.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

i never had any luck with the beer method. i guess the slugs up here
are teetotalers. i'm trying the iron phosphate stuff now. this summer
being like a slug horror movie in the northeast.

I'm having terrible problems with slugs on my hostas, i've never
suffered before. I've been told coarse grit around the base?

not too coarse; people recommend diatomaceous earth,. which is pretty
fine,. used to be the abrasive in toothpaste, to give you some idea.
big grit, the slugs just climb over it.
same stuff is good nontoxic bug killer too, apparently; exterminator
treated a wasp nest in the eaves by blowing a bunch of diatomaceous
earth in the hole. the bugs supposedly just get it all over themselves
and just grind themselves up, he said.