Old 16-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Jay Chan

Default Need Advice on Fencing a Small Vegetable Garden

I am trying to fence a small vegetable garden to prevent rabbits from
eating my string beans. By the way, I am living in northern New Jersey
area.

- How tall the fence should be? Is 2-ft tall enough? Rabbits in this
area are not that big. They are around 3/4-ft long when they are
sitting on the ground.

- I am planning to use a wooden fence with stiff plastic net mounted
on the fence. My question is: What type of wood should I use? Is
pressure treated wood good? Because it is a vegetable garden, I am
afraid that using pressure treated wood may not be appropriate (I
don't really know if I am worrying too much). Should I use pressure
treated wood as poles, and use cedar for the rest of the fence? Should
I use cedar to make the whole fence, and use metal
pole-footers/pole-anchors for ground contact?

I welcome any suggestion. Thanks.

Jay Chan