Old 10-08-2009, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Field bindweed in lawn

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

We have a new lawn, but the pre-treatment failed to kill all of
the field bindweed - surprise, surprise! - and there are a hundred
or so small patches in irritating positions. It is, of course,
not discouraged by mowing or being pulled out by hand.

One of the broadleaf weed specific ones applied only to the offending
areas will keep the total dose low. And much less collateral damage than
using glyphosate - grass is exquisitely sensitive to it.

I know - it was originally developed for the control of couch grass.
However, my problem remains. I have never used a specifically
broadleaf herbicide in my life, and field bindweed is a particularly
herbicide-resistant plant - MUCH more so than hedge bindweed. Any
ideas on a specific poison?

I actually rather like a bit of field bindweed, but it won't really grow
in my heavy clay soil! Hedge bindweed grows very well though!

I am not intending to eliminate it from the rougher part of the lawn,
but would like to do so in some places.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.