Old 10-08-2009, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Fuschia[_3_] Fuschia[_3_] is offline

Default Advice ! (new member)

On 2009-08-10 13:20:11 +0100, Nedder said:

Hi all, i just need some advice. i could probably ask this anywhere
really but you will see why its relevent.

my uncle is a gardner & is around 58yrs old (so not long till he
retires) i was speaking to him at the weekend about his work etc and he
said he is really busy & knocking work back.

he has had a recent operation & is struggling a bit. he wont get extra
help in as he cant be dealing with a young lad turning up late etc.

i did 2 years gardening work recently in australia and i would love to
get back into it (im office based now).

i just dont know how to approach my uncle about maybe working with/for
him?

any ideas about how i should approach this?

thanks.

I'd just ask him outright if he'd consider letting you come in as a
partner, sharing the expenses as well as the profits. You may have to
take a bit less until he does retire though. OTOH, he may be willing
for you to buy him out now by paying for the goodwill and taking on his
customers after you've worked alongside him for a few months and the
customers have got to know you as being honest and knowledgeable.

You might like to soften the blow for him by making it clear that he
is supplying all the knowledge and experience, and you are "only"
doing the heavy work.