Old 16-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Christopher

Default My first lawn mower

"Jim Sullivan" wrote in message ...
"Tim Fischer" wrote in message
news:5bAma.453365$F1.64998@sccrnsc04...
"Deitz" wrote in message
news:jjjma.443341$L1.126885@sccrnsc02...
I just purchased my first house and I need a lawn mower. I'm looking for

model for under $250.

I saw a Ryobi for $199 at Costco and Yard Machines brand at Home Depot

for
$199. Are these brands any good?

No. But anything for $250 won't be any good. You get what you pay for.

This isn't meant to be a sarcastic flame -- but a suggestion to look for a
name brand and pay a little more. Unless you don't mind throwing it out

in
3-5 years.

While I agreee that you get what you pay for, there is also the issue of a
dollar now and a dollar later. If what you can afford now is $250, then get
the best you can for that price and worry about what to do 5 years later,
later.

I bought a cheap mower for my second house (when the electric was too small
for the lot), kept if for 5 years, bought another mower that had what I
wanted when I could afford it and sold the old one to a neighbour that was
in the same place I was 5 years previously. I spent what I could afford.

If your lawn is small enough (or the cord is long enough), then consider
electric. No gas, no oil, minimal maintenance. According to this:
http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Lawn_an...s-Black___Deck
er_18__Electric_Lawn_Hog_Mulching_Mower_MM575 you can get one for $180. Get
the one with the flipping handle and you'll be through your lawn in no time:
http://www.growinglifestyle.com/prod/B00005AKZH.html

I bought a Craftsman with a 4hp Briggs on it, 7 years ago. Don't
remember the price. It easily cut through tall wet grass, but I kept
the blade sharp and that makes a big difference.

For 5 years it was used on a 5000 sq. ft. yard, but the last 2 years
were spent on a 20,000 sq. ft. yard.

This mower is still running great, but since I bought a riding mower
this year for that big yard, the Craftsman is just used for getting in
the tight spots.

My dad owned a K-Mart mower with a 3-1/2 hp Briggs engine for close to
20 years, (yards about 10,000 sq. ft.) so I think any mower with a
small Briggs engine will do just fine with regular oil changes and
other minor routine maintenance. I'll also mention that the reason
this mower lasted only 20 years is that the poorly designed handle and
grass catcher frame broke after 15 years. They could be rewelded but
usually the repair only lasted a year or so. When it became too much
of a hassle to fix every year he got rid of it, but the engine was
still running strong.